David Treleaven returns to the podcast to speak about his new book Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing.
As mindfulness goes mainstream, more and more people are giving it a try. At an introduction to mindfulness program I gave just last week, when I asked the question how many of you have tried meditation of some kind, everyone’s hand went up. Five years ago, that wasn’t the case. Along with the proliferation of mindfulness programs comes an appropriate awareness that mindful meditation practices are not a cure all, and are not necessary well timed for all participants. While there can be benefits, it’s important for teachers to learn about the nuances of trauma-sensitive mindfulness, and ways they might engage with those suffering from trauma, and perhaps when such interventions may not be as helpful.
David A. Treleaven, PhD, is an educator and trauma professional whose work focuses on the intersection of trauma, mindfulness, and social justice. Trained in counseling psychology at the University of British Columbia, he received his doctorate in psychology from the California Institute of Integral Studies. He has been studying mindfulness for twenty years and has a private practice in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- David Treleaven
- David’s Papers
- Generative Somatics
- Episode 025 :: David Treleaven :: Mindfulness Practices for Trauma
- First Do No Harm: Foundational Competencies for Working Skillfully with Meditation-Related Challenges — April 6 through 8, 2018
- Mind the Hype: A Critical Evaluation and Prescriptive Agenda for Research on Mindfulness and Meditation
- The Varieties of Contemplative Experience
- Meditation-Related Difficulties: Research Overview- Keynote by Dr. Willoughby Britton at the Center for Mindfulness Research and Practice Conference (Summer 2017)
Music for This Episode Courtesy of Rodrigo Rodriguez
The music heard in this podcast is from Rodrigo Rodriguez. You can visit his website to hear more of his music, get the full discography, and view his upcoming tour dates.